Monday 4 June 2012

Monday Review - Jubilee Holidee

My work held a Jubilee party in the grounds last Friday lunchtime.   There was a barbeque and a cake competition.  I was full of ideas but I finally decided on a basic victoria sponge cake recipe adding some food colouring for the red and blue layers with buttercream for the white part.  I decorated the top with red and blue M&M's.  Minibakebakegirl enjoyed separating the M&M's, the first two large packets had lots of blue ones but only had about 6 red.....and we could only find peanut jubilee packets but eventually we had enough to decorate the cake.  

On Thursday evening after we had been to the fun fair I was in the kitchen sticking on the M&M's - I was worried the colours might bleed into the icing but they were fine.   If I had had enough I would of decorated the sides too.





It isn't the best photo of a slice but you can see the effect I was aiming for!  It didn't win a prize but everyone said they enjoyed it and it was all polished off :o)

We are on holiday this week in East Sussex so as I won't be baking I thought it might be fun to review places we have had coffee and cake so far!

Pigwidgeon & Pye - Tunbridge Wells


We spotted this Independent coffee shop as soon as we arrived.  It has lots of seating, including some outside and upstairs.  We ordered cappuccinos and Minibakebakegirl a pot of tea.  Hubby had a brownie and we had Jubilee cupcakes.  It was delicious and we especially liked the little wooden tray the tea came on.    If I am ever back in Tunbridge Wells I would go back either for coffee or lunch as that looked good too.



De La Warr Pavillion - Bexhill On Sea


Their website states: The De La Warr Pavilion is a Grade I listed Modernist icon and an international centre for contemporary arts on the seafront in Bexhill On Sea.  It is a beautiful building and has a lovely cafe on the first floor.  It was a bit to chilly to sit outside but I can imagine it would be gorgeous on a sunny day.

I had the mincemeat tart, Minibakebakegirl had a chocolate hazlenut brownie and Hubby the fruit and nut flapjack.  I have only ever had mincemeat at Christmas so this made a nice change.  All three were very generous portions.  Coffee and tea were good too and we liked the arty cups. 


I hope everybody has had a lovely jubilee weekend - even though the weather hasn't been great for parts of the UK I'm sure it won't have stopped the barbeques and street parties!

Bakebakegirl.

Todays top three radio songs:

1. Picking up the Pieces - Paloma Faith
2. The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tight Fit
3. Sing - Gary Barlow and The Commonwealth Band

No comments:

Post a Comment